Monday, September 21, 2009

World Gratitude Day

Happy World Gratitude Day!

In 1965, a group of people (from both western and eastern countries) gathered together for Thanksgiving dinner in Hawaii. This group of people, including citizens from over 40 countries, pledged to hold “Gratitude Gatherings” in their home countries the following Sept 21. It became an annual event and was eventually recognized and set aside by the United Nations as World Gratitude Day. It’s a day to recognize the great things that people do. Take the time to think of things you’re most grateful for, and to thank those involved.

Here’s a list of 10 things I’m grateful for:

10. Sunshine. I’m grateful that the sun came up this morning. It would be a dismal day without it! (Thank, you God)

9. That it didn’t snow last night.
Snow, ice and I don’t get along really well, so every morning that I wake up, check to make sure the sun is shining and don’t see snow, I’m grateful. (Thank you, God, again, for keeping snow out of September)

8. Oboes
Sergei Prokofiev, in 1936, cast the oboe in the role of the “duck” in Peter and The Wolf. Apparently, he thought that the oboe sounded like a duck would sound if it were a songbird. The oboe has been much maligned over the years, but where would we be without it? Imagine Moody Blues without the oboe - they just wouldn’t sound the same. So thanks, oboe (and Ray Thomas - flautist and oboeist for MB) , for carrying on, even when people think you squawk like a duck. :)

7. Thumbs
I sprained my thumb last week. Have you ever tried using a curling iron with a sprained thumb? It doesn’t work, so I’m grateful for thumbs. Don’t know quite how to say thanks – maybe rub it with some lotion? We’ll see. Oh, I almost forgot. Thank you, Heavenly Father for giving us thumbs

6. Bony knees
My husband has the boniest knees in the world. They’re so bony that they’re cute. They work perfect, they bend and straighten just like they’re supposed to and they don’t grind or even catch. So thanks, bony knees – maybe I’ll tickle you tonight.

5. Kermit the Frog
How many of you have listened to “It’s Not Easy Being Green” lately? I have. I’m about the most ordinary person that you will ever meet, and Kermit addresses this situation, “It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things. And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water-or stars in the sky.” Kermit gives dignity to being ordinary as he says, “I am green and it'll do fine...and I think it's what I want to be.” Thanks, Jim Henson. I wish you were still here.
Link to “It’s Not easy being Green” www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbCI68eSNsA

4. Giggles
Where would the world be without giggles? I am so grateful for all of the giggles my kids have given me – all 10 of them. How many children? Ten...that’s right...5 through childbirth and 5 through marriage to my biological children. I’m grateful for all the giggles from: broken eggs, missed buses, frozen car doors, school programs, imitating the monkeys at zoos, dinners that have dissolved into gigglefests, and even church meetings when our entire bench was shaking from poorly restrained giggles. Where would the world be without them? Here’s a giggle song for you www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDo8WHpA5jc&feature=PlayList&p=6A8CA147AE0D0FF7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35
Thanks, Shannon, Jon, Rachel, Francis, Nathan, Jennifer, Keith, Emma, Gina and Darrell, and thank you, God, for allowing me the privilege of being their Mom.

3. Grandchildren
I wanted to be a grandma from the time I was very young. My Mom had grandchildren older than me, and she enjoyed them so much. I wanted to start out being a grandma! I thought that would be the neatest thing in the whole world. I just couldn’t wait. Well, it took a little longer than I expected, but I am now the grandmother of the two cutest, smartest, most intelligent grandchildren who have ever walked the planet. If you need to verify that, just aske Dean and he will tell you.
Rackelfratz! I tried to put in pictures of them, but it’s not working! Rats! Anyhow, Thank you, Rachel and Francis, for making my childhood dreams come true. **If anyone can tell me how to add pictures, you’ll make my top ten list for sure!!!

2. Dean
Uh-oh, the waterworks are starting already..as a word of advice, you’d better grab a kleenex and wipe off your monitor! Thanks, Dean for standing beside me and allowing me to stand beside you for 35 years!

1. Life
Every night I thank God for the day He has given me and ask Him for one more. Every morning, I thank Him for the blessing of a new day and the chance to use it for good. The greatest gift we can give Him is gratitude, and the best way to express it is by reaching out and lifting those around us. Thank you, Heavenly Father.

So tonight, get together with your friends or family and take a minute to express your gratitude for life, love, giggles, whatever you like be it big or small. :)



*****

(I’m also grateful for fun, easy recipes)

1 – 8 oz. package of vegetable cream cheese spread
16 – Wonton Wrappers
Oil for Frying
1 – Jar of Sweet and Sour sauce for dipping

1. Heat oil in a deep-fat fryer or pour into a deep skillet on high temperature. Vegetable oil or peanut oil works best.
2. While oil is heating, lay out as many wrappers as you plan to use.
3. Have a small bowl of water nearby to wet your fingers in.
4. Put a small dab of cream cheese in one corner of each wrapper, about 1/2” from the edges. Use about 1 tsp.
5. Using your fingers, wet the two edges nearest the cream cheese, then fold the other half down and seal the edges, making a triangle shape.
6. Seal the edges tightly, but try to leave small gaps at the corners so the triangles will not expand so much that they burst.
7. Drop several wontons into oil at a time. Turn over when the edges start to brown and cook for another minute or two.
8. Set on paper towels to drain, then serve hot with sweet-and-sour sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I love the things you are grateful for! Today I'm grateful that my daughter's wedding reception is over and I'm in Calif tending my mom who is alive after ending up in the hospital last week instead of coming to Utah for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great things to be thankful for. So glad about your mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post:) Sorry about your thumbs. Please have Dean call his dad. He misses him.
    I spend some of each day with him and he seems to be failing more. Mornings are best to talk with him.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete